[curves] PAKE use cases & requirements

Michael Hamburg mike at shiftleft.org
Mon Oct 27 18:15:35 PDT 2014

I asked Dan Boneh about this, and we didn’t figure out an answer in our brief meeting but he said it’s a good problem.

Makwa with a public N, where nobody holds the trapdoor, is a good idea since you can outsource it.  You can’t check the answer, though… which is OK, I guess?

Another option, which is also way out there:

Let H(password) = H1(discrete log(H2(password))), where the discrete log is computed over a weak elliptic curve which is unique per user but doesn’t depend on the password.  Perhaps the curve has ~2^50 points on it, requiring ~2^25 work, which will take a couple seconds.

The discrete log calculation can be offloaded to the server, by sending H2(password) * g^r, where r is random mod the order of the curve.  Subtracting r at the end gives the answer, and the answer can be checked easily.

The problem is, n discrete logs can be batched into O(sqrt(n)) times longer than a single one.  So if the database has a million passwords, they can be checked in the time required for 1000 logins.  So Makwa probably works better.

Cheers,
— Mike