[curves] SPAKE2 and SPAKE2 Elligator Edition

Michael Scott mike.scott at certivox.com
Thu Feb 19 02:23:39 PST 2015

That's very nice. But there is a lot of hashing going on...

The importance of introducing hashing was motivated in the Abdalla paper.
The authors point out that an attacker who can launch a man-in-the-middle
attack, and who learns the value of the two session keys, can carry out an
off-line dictionary attack and hence determine the password.
But wait a minute. I see how a man in the middle can insert and modify
transmitted values, but he can also learn the value of session keys (as
calculated by Alice and Bob, but not by himself)? How is that to be done
exactly? And in the presence of an attacker who can grab session keys out
of process memory, then there is no security anyway. And if this attacker
can grab session keys, then how does hashing them help - surely the same
attacker with only a little more effort can grab the keys out of memory
before they are hashed?

Maybe I am missing something..

Mike

Michael Scott