[curves] Second day NIST workshop notes

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Mon Jun 15 11:32:28 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Watson Ladd <watsonbladd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2015 4:24 AM, "Johannes Merkle" <johannes.merkle at secunet.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Watson Ladd schrieb am 12.06.2015 um 22:36:
>> > The reality is that most people invited don't care about security, but
>> > the appearence of security.

I'm sure that's false, and doesn't add anything the discussion.
Please stay technical and respectful.

>> This statement of yours is utterly wrong and comes close to an insult. How
>> can you deliver such a judgment when you
>> haven't even talked to these people?
>
> Unfortunately there isn't a transcript of the proceedings that I've found,
> so I'll have to rely on my fallible memory.
>
> But I distinctly recall complaining about Tanja's article at the second
> panel. Not complaints about its accuracy, but that its publication put
> unjustified suspicion on Brainpool.

You're citing the day 1 panel at around 7:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS84gO-sy6k

Lochter's complaint may be more about the tone of BADA55 than its
contents, but he has a point - BADA55 focuses on
"nothing-up-my-sleeve" curves, but doesn't do a similarly deep
analysis of the flexibility of performance-based curve choices like
25519 or 448.

Anyways, disliking the tone and the reception of a paper doesn't mean
you "don't care about security".