[curves] Second day NIST workshop notes

Johannes Merkle johannes.merkle at secunet.com
Tue Jun 16 06:12:12 PDT 2015

Trevor Perrin schrieb am 15.06.2015 um 22:24:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Watson Ladd <watsonbladd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 15, 2015 11:32 AM, "Trevor Perrin" <trevp at trevp.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Lochter's complaint may be more about the tone of BADA55 than its
>>> contents, but he has a point - BADA55 focuses on
>>> "nothing-up-my-sleeve" curves, but doesn't do a similarly deep
>>> analysis of the flexibility of performance-based curve choices like
>>> 25519 or 448.
>>
>> That flexibility is far less.
>
> Maybe.  My point was neither the BADA55 paper - nor yourself - are
> quantifying that flexibility and providing a serious analysis, like
> BADA55 did for Brainpool.
>
> Even your sketch below suggests thousands of choices.
>
> If this is between a 1-in-few-thousand process (performance-based) vs
> 1-in-a-million (nothing-up-my-sleeve-numbers-based), it's not clear
> this is an important distinction - or that these analyses are accurate
> enough to be meaningful.
>
> Anyways, more precision here would be useful, if anyone wants to take that up.

I had posted a detailed answer to the BADA55 paper on the CFRG list, where I explain why I deem its analysis unsuitable
for the Brainpool curves.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/cfrg/current/msg05353.html
Of course, there are some degrees of freedom in the procedure, but IMHO these have been grossly overestimated in the
BADA55 paper. The flexibility is small enough to give a very high confidence in the procedure - apart from the fact that
the procedure was agreed upon in an open process among the ECC Brainpool participants which included Tanja Lange.

Johannes