[curves] Confidential Transactions and "Borromean" ring signatures-- ZK proof applications of ECC

Mike Hamburg mike at shiftleft.org
Thu Jun 18 01:33:00 PDT 2015

Hi Gregory,

OK, so I think I might have an interesting variant on the Borromean
paper, but only for the case where everyone is using the same group
(Elliptic curve, or whatever).  Stop me if you've seen it.  I haven't
read the commitments part yet, but it might come in handy.

Let M be a matrix of group elements.  You can multiply it by a vector of
scalars, and get a vector of group elements.  Here's a ZKP of knowledge
of an element of ker M, with nonzero first element. (You can prove
knowledge of just any vector, but nonzero first element is fine here.)

Alice sends to Bob: Mr, for a random vector r.
Bob responds with a challenge c (= hash(M,Mr,message) in the sig case)
Alice responds with r', where Mr = Mr' and the first element of r' is c.

For the signature version, the signature is r'.  Mr = Mr' is the input
to the hash (along with the message and pubkey), and the output is c
which you check against the message.

This is honest verifier zero knowledge because you can just choose r'
upfront, and the Fiat-Shamir trick clearly applies.  It's a
generalization of Schnorr: in Schnorr, the matrix is (G,pubkey). For a
ring signature, it's (G,pub1,pub2,...,pubN).  [[ Technically what this
proves is knowledge of some linear combination of the secret keys, which
might be a problem somehow, but I'm not sure how. ]]

You can also prove knowledge of at least k kernel vectors.  Here instead
of matching the first element of r' against the challenge, you have to
match the first k elements of r'.

You can also construct complex relations using monotone span programs.
A monotone span program is a target t and vectors v_i (i = 1..n), in
some vector space.  It is satisfied by a subset S of 1..n if t is in the
span of {v_i | i in S}.

In this case, let M be the matrix [ Gt, Pub1 v1, Pub2 v2, ...] where
Pub1 v1 denotes a column of group elements, which are the entries of v1
times Pub1.  A vector [-1,w1,w2,...] is in the kernel of M if

t = (w1 sec1) v1 + (w2 sec2) v2 + ...

If you don't know, say, sec_i (or maybe some linear combination of it
and the other secret keys) then you'll probably be forced to set w_i =
0.  For the ones you do know, you can set w_i = s_i / sec_i, where t =
sum s_i v_i is a solution to the span program.  So probably you can find
an element of ker M iff you can solve the span program.

Span programs are fairly powerful.  For example, you can clearly get a
k-of-n threshold system: just choose n general vectors in k-dimensional
space (probably actually in some nice pattern for efficiency).  Any k of
them span, and any k-1 do not.

Also, we ought to have something more powerful than span programs here,
especially since we can get thresholds in a different way be showing
multiple kernel vectors.

To think about tomorrow: how to go beyond span programs, and how to
match the efficiency of the Borromean signature scheme, and how to apply
to your proof system, and how to prove security.

Cheers,
-- Mike