[curves] Curves for pairings

Brendan McMillion brendanmcmillion at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 22:21:53 PDT 2016

Hey Mike,

This morning, I forked Golang's implementation of bn256 and fit it with a
448-bit BN [1] curve based on the parameter

u = 1910986621940954212840033034977453

which, according to ellipticnews, should be closer to the 128-bit security
level. Interestingly, it's also very close to 2.5 times slower than the
same implementation for a 256-bit curve for all major operations. For
scalar mult in G1, 2 milliseconds to 5ms. For scalar mult in G2, 5ms to
13ms. For a pairing, 15ms to 35ms. All of these numbers can be lowered by
an order of magnitude by porting them to C and the scalar multiplications
can still be sped up by implementing GLV decomposition.

Is this also roughly the situation for the BLS curves you're experimenting
with?

[1] https://github.com/Bren2010/bn448