[curves] Fw: Aw: SPEKE using Curve25519 - elligator2 required or recommended?

Arasch Honarbacht honarbacht at ubisys.de
Tue Oct 24 14:34:57 PDT 2017

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much, this gives me a feeling for striking the right balance and indeed spending the additional resources seems to be worthwhile.

Arasch

Von: "Arasch Honarbacht" < <mailto:honarbacht at ubisys.de> honarbacht at ubisys.de>
An:  <mailto:curves at moderncrypto.org> curves at moderncrypto.org

Hi all,

I’m working on a proposal for key agreement in zigbee networks. The idea is to use SPEKE and Curve25519. My understanding is that Curve25519 accepts all 32-byte strings as valid public keys. Now, instead of the default base point 9, the base point is generated using a hash of the password. For argument’s sake, assume the base point would be a random number. I’ve implemented a test bench and tested this approach and it works well (for the small set of experiments I made, i.e. a couple of thousand executions).

The approach as it stands:

Alice generates a secret a, Bob generates a secret b.

Alice computes P = aG and sends it to Bob. Bob computes Q = bG and sends it to Alice.

Alice computes k = aQ = abG. Bob computes k = bP = baG.

When the base point G is chosen as one of the 12 points listed under the “contributory” behavior on Bernstein’s site ( <https://cr.yp.to/ecdh.html> https://cr.yp.to/ecdh.html) the scalar products P and Q and the shared secret become zero – so these points need to be avoided.

Now, I saw in literature that reverse elligator2 mapping is used to map a random string to a Montgomery x coordinate u, e.g. instead of G simply being the hash, G = elligator2(hash), c.f. Figure 1 in this paper:  <https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/562.pdf> https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/562.pdf, or section 2.6 here:  <https://signal.org/docs/specifications/xeddsa/> https://signal.org/docs/specifications/xeddsa/.

My question is: Would a elligator2 mapping be required for the SPEKE use case outlined above, or is any point, except for the 12 points mentioned above suitable as a generator?

Thanks, Arasch