[messaging] Useability of public-key fingerprints

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 11:25:31 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Michael Rogers
<michael at briarproject.org>wrote:

> I think that might be optimistic - the phonetic alphabet has been
>  around for a long time, and has far more uses than comparing
> fingerprints, but it's still not so widely known that you can assume
> any random person you want to share information with will know it.

The approach I'd like to try is forcing people to authenticate keys by
encrypting them using a password-derived key (and randomly generating
passwords from English words). I can't control how they'll communicate the
words, but I can at least encourage people to use a quick (phone call if
possible.

--
Tony Arcieri