[messaging] "Pseudoword" base32 fingerprints

Joseph Bonneau jbonneau at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 15:55:03 PST 2014

> 1) You don't have free choice of strings (like a password generator).
> Instead, you can only evaluate a "scoring function" on candidates
> produced by SHA256(pubkey + 32-bit counter).

I wasn't assuming you have free choice of any string you want, but that the
world can choose (and agree) to a new hash function, which is really a hash
function plus a function to turn the output into a human-readable string.
This could be used in a new messaging protocol, for example, to represent
public keys.

Looks like your assumption is that the hash function is fixed though and
therefore we have to search.

Either is an interesting problem I think.