[messaging] Let's run a usability study (was Useability of public-key fingerprints)

George Violaris violarisgeorge at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 01:34:32 PDT 2014

Hello, new to the list,

In addition to what Tom has posted, I would like to believe in having
an English word dictionary, where depending on the fingerprint type
used we can use functions to represent pairs or pairs of pairs with
English words.

For example having 43:51:43:a1:b5:fc:8b:b7:0a:3a:a9:b1:0f:66:73:a8 can
be broken up to pairs such as 4351, 43a1, b5fc, etc. Each pair can be
hashed into an actual English word which can be read over the phone or
sent in a message, therefore authenticating the public key. i.e. fox -
far - hood - bar - fish - build - more - tent

I don't think that having obfuscated words which can seemingly be
pronounced but in reality most will need to be spelled out is a good
idea, as users will just not do it, it takes too long, and is more
prone to errors.

Also, by using actual English words you can do a variation/combination
of both the "head-fake" and time-gated approaches.

George Violaris

PK for encrypted messages:
http://keyserver1.pgp.com/vkd/DownloadKey.event?keyid=0xEB302A1976E7482F