[messaging] Are we pursuing real solutions for security?

Moxie Marlinspike moxie at thoughtcrime.org
Tue Mar 11 14:35:02 PDT 2014

You might enjoy this paper written by a non-cryptographer:
https://www.usenix.org/system/files/1401_08-12_mickens.pdf

In his words, "people feel genuine anxiety when asked if they want large
fries for just 50 cents more."

Some of my other favorite quotes:

"'Chains of Attestation' is a great name for a heavy metal band, but it
is less practical in the real, non- Ozzy-Ozbourne-based world..."

"PGP enthusiasts are like your friend with the ethno-literature degree
whose multi-paragraph email signature has fourteen Buddhist quotes about
wisdom and mankind’s relationship to trees. It’s like, I GET IT. You
care deeply about the things that you care about. Please leave me alone
so that I can ponder the inevitability of death."

- moxie

http://www.thoughtcrime.org