[messaging] Separation of concerns, usability, and partial verification

Ximin Luo infinity0 at pwned.gg
Thu Mar 13 06:02:45 PDT 2014

On 13/03/14 06:37, Tom Ritter wrote:
> I think something very important for protocols we design going forward
> is persistence of key material, ala ZRTP's.  The encrypted
> conversation I am having with Alice now is authenticated via the last
> encrypted conversation I had with Alice.  You can trick me by MITMing
> all my conversations with Alice, but as long as I get one conversation
> in that you don't - we'll be able to figure it out.

It's not clear to me whether it would be appropriate/useful to store this stuff in the contact-verifier component I outlined below. Ratchet secrets are associated with *ongoing sessions*, which might be very long-term, but they are application-specific. (Can you think of a maybe-future-common use-case where multiple applications share the same session?) Although, perhaps it could be useful for an application that does not need any other persistent-secrets-storage, to "piggy-back" onto the service provided by the contact-verifier.

I think it probably is *inappropriate* to share this state across devices (one major feature of the contact-verifier). Proper operation of ratchets involves deletion of old secrets, but this can't be done if "there might be another device that needs this". This is why I don't share my OTR keys across devices. (Some people tell me they've done it, but they also never have concurrent sessions between multiple devices.) When we have multiparty ratchets, which I am looking into, that will solve this problem as well, so I think we don't need to spend extra effort solving it separately.

> My happiness with this design evolved in a good deal from discussions
> with some of the folks on this list at various events.  It's the
> implementation I'm a wee bit nervous about, as this system needs to be
> handle things like 'restarting after a lost device' and the ratcheting
> issues of what happens when we aren't in the same state because I
> think you received messages from me but you didn't.

This can be done with a proper understanding of what all the components of the ratchet are used for. We can derive specific conditions under which it's *safe* to delete secrets - roughly speaking, for "remote secrets", you can delete old secrets when the other person has acknowledged a new secret; and for "local-only" secrets, you can delete old secrets when you yourself have committed the new ones to persistent storage.

Some rough notes here: https://github.com/infinity0/smc-notes/blob/master/ideal-ratchet.rst which is a generalised model of a ratchet, without reference to concrete crypto primitives. (Ps() and Pr() are the same as prevS() and prevR() that I mentioned in my other thread.)