[messaging] Minimal requirements for group chat

Geoffroy Couprie geo.couprie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 15:38:44 PDT 2014

Le 17 avr. 2014 00:27, "Daniel Kahn Gillmor" <dkg at fifthhorseman.net> a
écrit :

> On 04/16/2014 06:19 PM, Geoffroy Couprie wrote:
> > A git-like scheme with an elected master could make the transcript
totally
> > ordered. Basically, all the peers would receive the messages and still
keep
> > them in an unstaged area, partially ordered so still useful for the UI.
> > Then the master would chime in and provide the definite  message order,
> > kind of like a merge in git. The peers then reorder their transcript
> > accordingly.
>
> a merge in git does not produce a total order; i don't think this
> proposal will work the way you think.

How so? In that scheme, the master defines clearly the order (even if it is
not the absolutely exact time based order).

> I don't think a partial order is a bad thing, though.  a partial order
> reflects the actual state of a distributed conversation; there's a
> reason that mail user agents have traditionally offered a threaded view.

The point is to get clients to agree on a transcript. Reflecting that
transcript in the UI would be confusing since it would incur reodering.
There could be a way to alert the user, though.