[messaging] Minimal requirements for group chat

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 14:13:21 PDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Joseph Bonneau <jbonneau at gmail.com> wrote:

>  We could design a chat protocol where every participant has a Lamport
> clock and these are committed to in each message as an alternative to the
> "git commit history" formulation considered above.

I was actually thinking about proposing exactly this when I saw Moxie's
original description, but I began to worry about the details, like:

- If someone joins a conversation later, who do they inherit their vector
clocks from? Someone who invited them to the conversation?
- What about siblings? (same problem as git)
- Could this actually result in confusing/deceptive output?

--
Tony Arcieri