[messaging] Tor Hidden Services in (Cables, SMTorP, Pond)

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Tue Jun 17 15:11:07 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Eleanor Saitta <ella at dymaxion.org> wrote:

> In the past, we've talked about having an optional untrusted proxy
> within SMTorP, either for sending or receiving, mostly to deal with
> the purely practical problem of both users not being online at the
> same time.  Our preference had been use the proxy on the sending side,
> as that way the sender can see when their message actually reached the
> receiver's mailpile, which we feel broadly maps to existing user
> expectations with respect to email behavior.  A receive proxy is also
> possible, which would hide user online state (assuming it's running on
> a VPS), but would also alter system behavior in a way which may be
> undesirable otherwise.

If I had to choose one, I'd choose the receive proxy.  A send proxy
means the receiver still has to run a listening service, and assume
the privacy / reliability / security risks that come with that.

Are there really "existing user expectations" that senders know when
messages reach the recipient's mail client?  That's a nice feature,
but seems like it could be handled by delivery receipts which allow
recipients to opt-out.