[messaging] Audible public-key fingerprints

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Sun Aug 17 06:49:50 PDT 2014

On August 17, 2014 7:09:24 AM EDT, Brennan Novak <hi at bnvk.me> wrote:
>That's an interesting idea from a UX standpoint. How do you see the
>generation of the audio fingerprint happening? How would an audio
>fingerprint be generated? Would a user "record" it or would it be
>algorithmically derived from the textual fingerprint like the various
>icon / color coding approaches are doing?

I have been working on a concept like this for awhile in ChatSecure, based on this research:

https://www.ics.uci.edu/~lopes/dv/dv.html
https://github.com/diva/digital-voices

The unique thing here is that the tones themselves are pleasant and memorable.

It really does work, even over a telephone call or in a noisy room.

+n