[messaging] Proposal: AOL should start offering free SSL Certificates

Tao Effect contact at taoeffect.com
Mon Aug 18 18:11:04 PDT 2014

On Aug 18, 2014, at 8:02 PM, Daniel Roesler <diafygi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> We could have an implementation ready within a year.
>
> No offense, but how long do you think it will be before
> Oracle/IBM/<insert-enterprise-tech-company-here> adopts your standard?

None taken, it's a good question, and the answer is that Oracle/IBM/etc are almost completely irrelevant to adoption.

These companies play little to no role in TLS.

> I'm all for PKI alternatives, but your solution is easily a decade away from replacing X.509.

If that it is true it is not due to Oracle/IBM et. al.

It is actually both scary and convenient that the internet is mostly a monoculture when it comes to security protocols.

The people who matter are:

- A very small number of developers.
- Sysadmins who run websites. The effort they need to make might be roughly equivalent to moving from HTTP to HTTPS.

And that's about it.

If it takes a decade, it will be due to lack of effort, lack of interest, etc.  If you are serious about wanting a solution, then please help in any way you can to speed things up! :-)

Sincerely,
Greg Slepak