[messaging] User key lookup and the Web PKI analogy

Daniel Roesler diafygi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:36:32 PDT 2014

I agree that emulating Web PKI might not fit this situation, but
that's because I'm not sure I fully understand the need for any PKI
for human-to-human messaging. I don't need to be able to authenticate
everyone out there, just the people I want to communicate with.

This whole situation seems pretty similar to dealing with phone
numbers. Back before programmable phones, the phone book basically
acted as a the central PKI for numbers, and you would go look up
someone's number if you wanted to call them. However, once we had
programmable phones and started maintaining our own contact lists, we
found that we didn't really need the phone book anymore.

Sure, it's now a bit more inconvenient to not be able to look up
someone's number if you don't already have it, but I guess we
compensate for that now by being sure to get the phone number at first
contact or getting it through a friend of a friend. Either way, phone
number authentication is now much more of a social interaction than it
used to be, which I take to mean that as a society we deem social
authentication as better than centralized authentication.

Another example of no-PKI authentication is SSH. Every time you try to
ssh into a new server, by default, you see the message:

The authenticity of host 'example.com (192.168.1.2)' can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is 12:34:56:78:90:ab:cd:ef:12:34:56:78:90:ab:cd:ef.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

You usually accept it because you have context for the situation. Your
boss probably gave you the address, or you got the address from the
list of instances on AWS, or whatever other interaction lead you to
try and connect with that server in the first place. You didn't need
to verify the authenticity with some other party because you have
context.

PKI, for me, serves the purpose of providing authentication without
prior context (hence why it's needed in Web PKI). However, in
human-to-human messaging, there's almost always prior context, so I
don't really see the need to force a standardized PKI.

Daniel