[messaging] User key lookup and the Web PKI analogy

Alaric Snell-Pym alaric at snell-pym.org.uk
Thu Aug 21 04:51:11 PDT 2014

On 19/08/14 23:18, elijah wrote:

> I think there is certainly a place for both decentralized and
> infrastructure approaches, and if we can actually get an infrastructure
> approach that works reliably then people will start to see the usability
> benefit.

I think we need more infrastructure to support decentralized approaches,
too :-)

I have spoken before of a key most usefully mapping to a "reputation",
but current systems provide little scope to manage that reputation for
me. I would like it if OpenPGP kept track of what things it had seen
signed with each random public key it encounters; if I want to contact
you, and I find several keys claiming to be owned by "elijah" in my
keyring and/or public key servers, I'd like to see which one has signed
lots of messaging at moderncrypto.org posts in the past. Currently, there's
no easy way of doing that.

ABS

--