[messaging] Thoughts on keyservers

Tao Effect contact at taoeffect.com
Thu Aug 28 12:23:07 PDT 2014

On Aug 28, 2014, at 11:35 AM, Tom Ritter <tom at ritter.vg> wrote:

> Or by timestamping.  Blockchain if you're set up to do that, CA
> timestamping if you're rich, hashes on twitter if neither, or a
> Merkle-Tree log in the future.

Twitter is an interesting topic (to me). When analyzing the "security" of any centralized authority (like twitter), I like to think out way into the future, to 1984, when Big Brother looms large.

That usually quickly discounts any central authority as being a reliable entity to ensure the integrity of the data. There have been many instances already where twitter has been responsible for irresponsible censorship [1] [2].

The problem with services like twitter, for example, is if a tweet is taken down, it doesn't matter much even if a timestamped signed merkle root hash exists for it, as the original data is gone (maybe someone archived it? Maybe someone didn't? Was it in the original form that can be used with the Merkle Tree? Probably not.)

With a blockchain-based twitter (or a blockchain-based notary), none of this is a problem: http://twister.net.co

With blockchains, the #1 problem is instead the consensus algorithm.

Bitcoin and Namecoin's consensus algorithms aren't good enough right now. They suffer from:

1. Wasting resources. (Have you seen how much electricity these "bitcoin mines" use on generating hashes??)
2. Being too easily 51% attacked by a single entity or group.

There are alternative consensus algorithms that might addresses these issues:

- https://eprint.iacr.org/2014/452.pdf
- https://github.com/tromp/cuckoo
- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=309073.msg7385002#msg7385002
- http://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/solution-to-sybil-attacks-and-51-attacks-in-decentralized-networks

I haven't vetted all of these, am just linking to them in case someone else has the time to investigate. There are even more that I haven't listed. Lots of interesting research going on in the area of consensus algorithms.

I think the best way to figure out the "right" consensus algorithm is to first figure out what the theoretical ideal would look like. Maybe it's "one-human stakeholder one-vote" ?

Even that ideal suffers in reality because one rich human can bribe other (poor) humans to vote in their favor. That is the reason why many countries have laws requiring a secret ballot.

Once an ideal (that most can agree on) is found, we should see how to best approximate it algorithmically. Any thoughts as to what such an ideal could look like?

Cheers,
Greg

[1] https://twitter.com/taoeffect/status/503240066563862528 (read the whole tweet thread, this link is to the end of it).

[2] https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/08/21/twitter-facebook-executives-arbiters-see-read/