[messaging] Google End-to-End plans on using key directories with a CT-like verification protocol

Tao Effect contact at taoeffect.com
Thu Aug 28 15:01:00 PDT 2014

On Aug 28, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Moxie Marlinspike <moxie at thoughtcrime.org> wrote:

> Sorry I wasn't more clear. I was referring to the fact that the
> directory would be openly publishing a list of everyone's email
> addresses.  Even if you hash them, they're pretty trivially invertible.
>
> I don't know much about the state of the art of spam filtering these
> days, so it might be that this isn't a problem, but it doesn't seem great.
>
> - moxie

Hmm, this is also a problem for blockchains *if* emails are published in the blockchain (as they currently are in Namecoin).

One solution, then, is to not publish emails in the blockchain, but instead query them from the individual servers, and authenticate those replies via the blockchain. I think that would completely solve the problem (for the blockchain, that is).

Thank you for that observation, I will need to bring this up with the Namecoin team.

Cheers,
Greg