[messaging] Modern anti-spam and E2E crypto

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Fri Sep 5 10:04:32 PDT 2014

Tremendous piece, Mike; Thanks! Two questions:

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:

> So I think we need totally new approaches. The first idea people have is
> to make sending email cost money, but that sucks for several reasons; most
> obviously - free global communication is IMHO one of humanities greatest
> achievements, right up there with putting a man on the moon. Someone from
> rural China can send me a message within seconds, for free, and I can
> reply, for free! Think about that for a second.

​1. Is there a price point for an electronic “stamp” which is close enough
to free to be acceptable even to someone in rural China (I dunno, say
0.001USD​) but unaffordable for spammers?
2. Could cryptocurrency tech provide a mechanism for creating/vending such
stamps?