[messaging] key validation rules for today

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Mon Sep 8 17:17:34 PDT 2014

Hey elijah, this is cool.  I really like the way you broke down
categories and gave them names.  Some thoughts:

As you note, *-endorsement really falls down to *-trust if the
infrastructure is not set up to allow Bob to audit.  But *-trust can
be (manually) upgraded to *-endorsement if one keeps logs. If I record
the TLS session between me and provider (and all the keys and such) I
can show that as proof that either a) the provider had a rogue
certificate issued for them or B) they lied.  A service can still
claim they/someone were hacked, whether it's a CA that led to a key
lookup MITM or the infrastructure behind their endorsement key.

If you're going to enumerate nuances of key authenticity, I think
there's more. Some nuances that, to me, upgrade the authenticity of a
key.
 - If I receive the key over an anonymous channel vs a bound channel.
(e.g. Tor vs Internet)
 - If I receive the key over multiple Internet connections (Cellular &
Broadband)
 - If I receive a signed response from the user, using that key
 - If I receive a signed response from the user, using that key, from
a different provider (e.g. if I get an email from your riseup.net and
leap.se accounts on the same key using UIDs)
 - In the grand unified communication context: if I receive the same
key over another medium, e.g. OTR & Email
 - If I receive the same key from a user when they're on different
devices. (Of course, this is actually near-impossible to prove, so it
can't count for much.)

So I envision keys gaining trust over time. Key Managers improve trust
in keys by collecting endorsements, and tracking use. The more use in
the more contexts, the more trusted a key is.  An 'advanced' tab gives
a number of details, like "This key is trusted because it's been
endorsed by <N> independent endorsers, has been in use for <Y> months,
and has been seen in <Z> independent contexts."

Now let me click on a key, and send it to Carol. Bundle up the <N>
endorsements, make a statement about <Y> and <Z>.  Now I'm an
endorser. And we have the Web of Trust back ;)

-tom