[messaging] fyi: metadata-eliminating tor-based chat program: Ricochet

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Fri Sep 19 13:38:17 PDT 2014

A number of things about this one made me kind of uneasy.  The clichéd tone
of the article “high-school dropout trumps NSA!”  The complete absence of
input from anyone who wasn’t a  project insider, and the dissing of
competitors who are actually shipping working software. I mentioned on
Twitter that a couple of things about the story made my BS filter twitch,
and I got slimed by multiple project partisans (nobody I’ve ever heard of)
for being a hater, etc.   I looked at the github repo and if any
development is actually happening, it’s not there; no commits to the actual
code for a couple months.    Now, none of those things in & of itself is
reason to dismiss Ricochet, but I have to say my BS filter is doing more
than twitching.

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 12:32 PM, =JeffH <Jeff.Hodges at kingsmountain.com>
wrote:

> this is just fyi/fwiw, I haven't investigated this other than skimming the
> article..
>
> Middle-School Dropout Codes Clever Chat Program That Foils NSA Spying
> [ricochet]
> http://www.wired.com/2014/09/new-encrypted-chat-program-
> thwarts-nsa-eliminating-metadata
>
> https://github.com/ricochet-im/ricochet
>

> also mentioned..
>
> Wickr
> Tox
> TorChat

- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)