[messaging] fyi: metadata-eliminating tor-based chat program: Ricochet

Sean Comeau sean at ftlnetworks.ca
Mon Sep 22 07:20:59 PDT 2014

There is spam on regular SMS, for sure. There would be a lot more of it if sending was free. I'm not sure if WhatsApp is spam free either, I don't use it. Maybe spammers haven't gotten around to it yet. Skype is centralized, and spammers certainly got to that.

I agree it's easier to control spam in a centralized context, and also agree Pond has some compelling features over TextSecure in a centralized context, but I don't think any serious messaging standard or successor to email can or should be centralized. I don't want to make my communications captive to any single entity, no matter how benign it may seem to be.