[messaging] Metadata free instant messaging protocol, with basic spam throttling

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Tue Sep 30 07:46:37 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014, at 11:46 PM, Nadim Kobeissi wrote:
> I wonder if applying Mike's suggested protocol to voice calls requires
> having the entire call go through Tor.
> This feels like it could be problematic given that voice calls depend
> much more on low latency than text messages.

I know this VoIP bit is a bit of a tangent from the main thread of the
topic, but when forced to do it, Skype works over Tor in a TCP mode just
fine:
https://guardianproject.info/2012/12/10/voice-over-tor/

Using something like the Codec2, it is definitely possible to have a
reasonable amount of throughput for a full duplex conversation.

That said, it seems like most mobile messaging users are interested in
asynchronous voice messaging that real-time calls, so ensuring that a
protocol like this can handle that is probably more important to focus
on than VoIP.

+n