[messaging] Metadata free instant messaging protocol, with basic spam throttling

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Thu Oct 2 03:34:02 PDT 2014

> I don't know if a price exists that would balance the risk of spam while
> still attracting users

$0.10 per account (assuming they are terminated quickly) seems to be high
enough to stop bulk spam campaigns, although accounts do still get bought
and sold at this price level.

Of course micropayments like this are hard to do directly, even with
Bitcoin these days (though I'm sure we can push mining fees down with
enough work). But that's what phone verification is for.