[messaging] yet another CT thread

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 20:07:18 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 7:02 PM, Tao Effect <contact at taoeffect.com> wrote:

> It does not assume a global MITM, but a global MITM is possible. [...]
> This question was brought up by Tony over on [metzdowd] and thoroughly
> dissected.

Hi Greg,

The difference between Namecoin/etc and CT is that CT is sort of almost
becoming ready to solve meaningful problems today, namely allowing sites to
discover anomalous keys for their domains under the dirty old X.509 PKI.
That said, I wonder if DNSSEC, gross as it is, might be the lesser of all
evils (although I still think it needs a CT-alike too)

You have linked an awful lot of proposals for how to move the entire naming
and authentication system of the Internet over to a "blockchain", but that
sounds really hard.

Are there any MitM attacks in the transition process for moving all of the
names to a blockchain-based system? Will it melt the Internet?

Making substantial changes to Internet infrastructure is easier said than
done.

--
Tony Arcieri