[messaging] Group messaging consistency under resource constraints

Ximin Luo infinity0 at pwned.gg
Tue Oct 7 09:52:36 PDT 2014

On 07/10/14 02:30, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 12:41:15AM +0100, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Of course a malicious-client-tolerant distributed cryptographic system
> will have a somewhat different set of failure modes to convey to the
> user, but I'm just responding to the argument that it is impossible to
> design a UX to handle even the simplest case of transcript inconsistency
> (of a missing message in the history).  The existing modern centralized
> chat systems handle this case OK and users find it acceptable.  Let's
> achieve feature parity in a distributed system and get on with finding
> and solving the actually hard problems.

"Simplest case of consistency" is not the problem. I described the problem in the first post.

I only want to talk about specific issues mentioned in there; you are extrapolating a bit in what I mean by "can't do [X]". Maybe my words are not the most clear, but if you can tell me which specific parts are not clear then I can respond to correct it. I can't respond to vague things that don't talk about what I was referring to.

GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git