[messaging] Provable (private) conversation while allowing (somewhat) precise redaction

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Oct 9 13:07:43 PDT 2014

On 10/9/2014 9:08 AM, Tamme Schichler wrote:
> Thanks for these links, the proofs of receipt are definitely something I
> need to look into. Ideally it should be simultaneous, but I don't know a
> scheme that can do that without a witness.
> Since I'm thinking about a chat protocol

Non-repudiation of receipt throughout a conversation.  Interesting
requirement.

Yeah, I doubt there's a deployed solution, though I'm not plugged in to
the right communities to be sure.

FWIW, what I've been used to seeing, for non-repudiation mechanisms, is
a requirement for an independent time-stamping service, rather than for
a more elaborate third-party role.

Relevant links that popped up on non-rep, recipient, conversation:

   Non-Repudiation in Internet Telephony

http://sit.sit.fraunhofer.de/smv/publications/download/VoIP_Non_Repudiation.pdf

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/29550/recipient-non-repudiation-in-secure-e-mail-transport

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E13214_01/wlintegration/v2_0/collaborate/security/nonrep.htm

(I was amused to see that the end of the google list for that search was
a pointer to my previous message to you...)

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking