[messaging] keys.gnupg.net returns random pages

Daniel Roesler diafygi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 19:24:31 PDT 2014

Thanks for the response! During the cryptoparty, I learned a lot about HKP.

First, you're right that the DNS entry for updates often with
different A and AAAA Records, and that makes sense for the
volunteer-operated, multi-organizational infrastructure.

Second, this thread was initiated by a UX misunderstanding. When I
publish my public key, I ran the following command:

$ gpg --send-key 72EFEE3D
gpg: sending key 72EFEE3D to hkp server keys.gnupg.net

I was curious about keys.gnupg.net, so I copied the domain into a
browser, and was met with a scary landing page[1]. As to be expected,
I was concerned and started asking around, and others confirmed
something strange was happening[2].

The big thing that we were missing was that HKP operates over port
11371. If we were to have visited http://keys.gnupg.net:11371/, it
would have been the standard keyserver interface. Most servers mirror
that interface on port 80, but some servers have entirely different
webservers listening to port 80 (like the one with the scary landing
page).

I don't think that there's anything particularly insecure with this
DNS round robin setup, but it is very confusing for new users and
comes off as pretty sketchy. I know we can't and shouldn't enforce
that the keyserver should have a port 80 mirror, so how about changing
the UX to set expectations better?

Would the experience be better if "gpg: sending key 72EFEE3D to hkp
server keys.gnupg.net" was changed to "gpg: sending key 72EFEE3D to
hkp server keys.gnupg.net:11371"? Would it be better to show the IP of
the particular server that was used (e.g. "104.37.104.142:11371")?

-Daniel

[1] - https://i.imgur.com/O1aRXUA.png
[2] - https://twitter.com/NotRhodey/status/523660838893133824