[messaging] Group messaging consistency under resource constraints

Ximin Luo infinity0 at pwned.gg
Mon Oct 20 15:34:22 PDT 2014

On 20/10/14 23:23, David Leon Gil wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Ximin Luo <infinity0 at pwned.gg> wrote:
>> So, we are working in the context that some messages might be dropped. Say there were 20 messages and Alice only received 15 of them. She builds up a root hash from these 15 messages. How do others verify this hash?
>
> There is no need to just send the head/root; you can send the whole tree.

What does sending the whole tree gain us? We can just send the leaf hashes, and get the same amount of information. Then this is equivalent to the "single-message" acks that I mentioned in the first post (let me know if it's not clear and I'll explain it in more words).

The problem is to come up with a scheme that avoids having to ack each message individually, but still achieve consistency.

GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git