[messaging] How secure is TextSecure?

Jean-Philippe Aumasson jeanphilippe.aumasson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 03:40:40 PDT 2014

"the security of a reduced-length SHA256 has not been investigated,
yet" (p5 of http://eprint.iacr.org/2014/904.pdf)

It was, implicitly, for any attack on "reduced-length" (collision,
[second-]preimage, distinguisher, etc.) implies an attach on SHA-256.

I wouldn't call UKS attacks "serious". As Trevor suggests, a good
reference is Krawczyk's HMQV paper http://eprint.iacr.org/2005/176.pdf
(see the UKS attack on MQV in appendix).