[messaging] EFF Secure Messaging Scorecard

Stefan Birgmeier e0725468 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Nov 4 10:06:27 PST 2014

On 04/11/14 17:43, Joseph Bonneau wrote:
> First version launched today:
> https://www.eff.org/secure-messaging-scorecard
>
> This was a collaboration between tech advisers (primarily Peter
> Eckersley and myself) and a good team of people with experience in
> journalism and activism and there were necessarily some compromises
> made. The primary goals here were:
>
> (a) simplicity for users (and journalists) to draw some conclusions
> about what's out there right now and we had to make a lot of
> compromises to keep things simple for end-users to understand.
>
> (b) reasonable carrots for some of the traditional messaging apps to
> add security features, get audits, and publish source code.
>
> Hopefully we will be launching a more detailed version next year with
> many more evaluation criteria but would be curious to hear feedback on
> this version from other folks working in this space.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joe

Since when is Skype "Encrypted so the provider can’t read it?" That
might have been the case a very long time ago but now certainly is not
true anymore, just considering this:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/think-your-skype-messages-get-end-to-end-encryption-think-again/
(i take it by "provider" you mean the server provider, otherwise that
would just be pretty much the same as "encrypted in transit"?)
Generally for Applications which are not open source it will be very
hard to prove that "the provider can't read it".
Also, i encountered a snag when clicking on the "sort by" column
headings, apparently they turn black (on black background) once they
have been visited.
Regards,