[messaging] EFF Secure Messaging Scorecard

Joseph Bonneau jbonneau at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 21:00:18 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 11:45 PM, Tao Effect <contact at taoeffect.com> wrote:

> I echo nikos questions, especially question #2:
>
> 2. How is Skype communications "encrypted so the provider can't read"
> verified? (or even more important how is this compatible with Prism? ;))
>

> Sorry if I missed it, but I searched and don't believe he received an
> answer.

This was discussed previously in this thread. There may be a score change
coming on that one.

> In summary, could someone please either provide an explanation for why
> Apple received these two checkbox, or could the EFF please update their
> table so that that Apple's iMessages is truthfully represented in the table?

Apple's encryption is end-to-end. Cloud backups can defeat this but we
decided to consider this a separate problem-any tool can be defeated if you
backup the plaintext somewhere in the cloud. If you think this is a bad
feature encourage users to to disable it.