[messaging] WhatsApp & OWS team up

Parker Higgins parker at eff.org
Tue Nov 18 11:36:38 PST 2014

On 11/18/14 11:27 AM, Tao Effect wrote:
> Good observation Nadim, I'm also curious about the GPL question.
> Maybe some EFF folks can answer that?

Not a lawyer, but I am an EFF folk. I endorse Zaki Manian's answer:

> The OWS Contributor Agreement appears to permit multiple licensing
> agreements that would permit using OWS open source code within a
> proprietary app after reaching an agreement with OWS which is
> probably what is happening here.
>
> https://whispersystems.org/cla/
>
>> Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of
>> this Agreement, You hereby grant to Open Whisper Systems and to
>> recipients of software distributed by Open Whisper Systems a
>> perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free,
>> irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works
>> of, publicly display, publicly perform, and distribute Your
>> Contributions and such derivative works, as well as the right to
>> sublicense and have sublicensed all of the foregoing rights, through
>> multiple tiers of sublicensees, provided that in all cases, Open
>> Whisper Systems will make Your Contributions available under an
>> OSI-approved open source license.

My read of this clause is that OWS can't just offer a license to
WhatsApp (thanks to the last sentence) but can release it to them under
an OSI-approved non-copyleft license.

Parker

--
Parker Higgins
Activist

815 Eddy Street
San Francisco, CA 94109-7701

I prefer to use encrypted email.

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2013/11/03/parkerkey.txt
Fingerprint: 4FF3 AA1B D29E 1638 32DE C765 9433 5F88 9A36 7709

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/