[messaging] WhatsApp & OWS team up

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Tue Nov 18 11:42:12 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Tao Effect <contact at taoeffect.com> wrote:

> Cracking the usable key verification problem. This move brings WhatsApp to
> the same level of security as iMessage (or better, given the forward
> security), but WhatsApp/Facebook could still do a switcheroo on people's
> keys. TextSecure never really figured this out IMO - it still expects
> people to manually compare long strings of hex.
>

> I will, a
> ​​
> s seems to be my role here, recommend the blockchain and a system like
> DNSChain for solving this problem. :-)

​And I will, as seems to be *my* role here, ​recommend checking out
keybase.io, which you can use without trusting, and provides what smells to
me like extremely practical probabilistic key<=>person mapping confidence.

- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)