[messaging] WhatsApp & OWS team up

Tao Effect contact at taoeffect.com
Tue Nov 18 12:01:03 PST 2014

> ​And I will, as seems to be *my* role here, ​recommend checking out keybase.io, which you can use without trusting, and provides what smells to me like extremely practical probabilistic key<=>person mapping confidence.

Keybase is about as good as you can get with a centralized system.

However, it creates an system that ends up being not very user friendly (especially when it comes to replacing lost or stolen keys). It's also a central point of failure.

And, for whatever reason, they replace personal everyone's email with their own @keybase.io email address, so your emails all go through their servers. As a centralized platform, I won't be surprised to see more of these walled-garden lock-in type things.

For secure communications systems, I prefer systems that no entity has a monopoly over, without central authorities or points of failure. They're more robust and less prone to tampering. The 51% attack is the worse that can happen with the blockchain, and it amounts only to censorship. The worst that can happen with a central authority, on the other hand, is total compromise.

Cheers,
Greg (i'm greg in the namecoin blockchain, but I prefer, eventually, to be greg at taoeffect.bit when that's figured out).