[messaging] Second thoughts on WhatsApp encryption

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Fri Nov 21 07:02:05 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014, at 09:54 AM, Joseph Bonneau wrote:

> The only real worry I have about this is that it introduces the
> possibility
> of whole countries with repressive governments (or whole classes of
> devices
> sold there) have WhatsApp shipping with encryption turned off permanently
> in the name of "performance" or compliance. These countries could always
> block WhatsApp completely, but this might be very unpopular if millions
> of
> people can't talk to their friends on WhatsApp in other places. You'd
> like
> to force countries to either block WhatsApp completely and risk popular
> anger, or allow WhatsApp with E2E included. Techies and activists will
> know
> if they take the middle route of allowing WhatsApp but banning E2E
> encryption and can protest about it, but I worry that's less much likely
> cause an uproar.

Citizenlab uncovered recently that Line was disabling TLS when it was
run on specific mobile operators in Thailand. This was likely the least
expensive way to implement lawful intercept. India also has very strong
laws and technical capability in this regard, as we saw with their
pressure towards Blackberry a few yeara ago.

--
  Nathan of Guardian
  nathan at guardianproject.info