[messaging] Pour one out for "voice authentication"

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Jan 2 10:31:58 PST 2015

On 01/02/2015 11:02 AM, Joseph Bonneau wrote:
> I'm not as sure about that, but it would be an interesting follow-up
> experiment. Without high-quality video (e.g. on a phone over 3G), I wonder
> how many users will notice if you leave the video completely intact and
> simply change the audio? I'd guess most people won't notice.

even in situations where we're used to high-quality video, i suspect
most of us are mentally primed to just ignore brief video glitches,
stutters, or other artifacts.

If you don't have a way to edit the video, but you're an MITM, you could
just degrade the entire video stream enough to produce these artifacts
the entire way through, and/or delay video packets enough to break sync
entirely.  people are remarkably forgiving of degraded video, and our
minds like to "fill in the blanks".

	--dkg