[messaging] TOFU to ease PGP key discovery

Daniel Roesler diafygi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 10:02:10 PST 2015

Most SKS keyservers are personal servers run by volunteers. Many don't
even mirror their sks server to port 80, which is why I got confused
once[1]. There's only a small handful of
companies/institutions/organizations in the pool (*hint* to those on
this list who are a part of organizations who should be in the pool!).

I suspect that asking them to pay for their own root CA chained SSL
cert would be a hard ask, especially when many likely don't buy into
the whole root CA trust idea in the first place (hence why they are
actively supporting Web of Trust infrastructure). Maybe it will be an
easier ask when Let's Encrypt gets up and running :)

-Daniel

[1]: http://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/messaging/2014/000991.html

>>> 'http://pool.sks-keyservers.net',
>>> 'http://keys.gnupg.net',