[messaging] replay protection in asynchronous mixnets with high throughput

Jeff Burdges burdges at gnunet.org
Sat Oct 10 06:37:42 PDT 2015

I donno if this decay operation is a standard practice around Bloom
filters, but it presumably works as follows.

If you've two filters with *distinct* hash functions on the same
elements, rather than new elements, then together they act like a bloom
filter with twice the bit width as many hash functions, which should
remain optimal*, but you could now throw away the second filter to save
memory and increase your false positive rate.

You'd probably "freeze" the first filter and use only the second
freshly cleaned filter for writing, so you membership test switches
from being in both filters (and) to being in either one (or).

I could imagine doing this if traffic on the old server key slowed down as it approaches expiry.  You go from dropping only p^2 false replay drops to between p and 1-(1-p)^2 as the second filter fills up, where p is the false drop for one filter.

Sounds reasonable,
Jeff

*  In the naive analysis, if I've two distinct filters on the same
elements with the same values for p and m/n, then together they've
effectively p^2 and 2*m/n because 2 ln(p) = ln(p^2), so trashing one
gives you one filter with parameters p and m/n.  I've sen articles that
improve on the usual analysis for Bloom filters.  If I recall, they
show that you lose some efficiency doing this, but probably not enough
to care about.  It's maybe another reason why you'd only want to decay
once though.