[messaging] Mail UIs

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Jan 7 20:00:18 PST 2016

On Thu 2016-01-07 10:59:03 -0800, Jeff Burdges wrote:
> Trevor mentioned the difficulty of building a nice user-interface for a
> mail reader at RWC yesterday.
 [...]
> The question is : Can/should the interfaces be streamlined differently
> for the different activities of reading incoming mail and reviewing old
> messages?
 [...]
> If however there appears to be a worthwhile advantage to keeping the
> interfaces separate, then there might structural advantages in
> development where more user-interfaced developers focused on the
> archival reader did not need to worry much about security, and the more
> security conscious developers dealing with the inbox tool could
> port/copy the better user-interface decisions of the archival tool.

Can you make your security concerns about handling inbox messages more
explicit?

Is the concern that inboxes contain untrusted content that could somehow
compromise the MUA?  or that since the inbox messages are more recent
(i've got stuff in my inbox that's a year old, ha ha) so therefore
actions taken in response to them necessarily give lower-latency
feedback to a network observer?  Or some other security concern?

         --dkg