[messaging] saltpack spec and library

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Tue Feb 2 11:36:50 PST 2016

Nice!  Looks carefully thought out.  Saltpack is similar to miniLock
[1], it would be interesting to see a comparative analysis.

(I have a framework called "Noise" [2] that tackles a few of the same
things, but is less similar - it's for DH-based protocols, but doesn't
have multi-recipient support as a core feature).

Some small observations:

(1) If two recipient public keys are identical, this fact would leak
in the ciphertext.  If I'm one of the recipients I could possibly use
this to confirm guesses as to other recipients, by providing their
public keys as mine.

(2) The MAC keys only depend on the static-static DH output, not the
ephemeral-static DH output.  So if I compromise Alice's private key, I
can tamper with the ciphertext of messages she's previously produced.
This would be easy to avoid, if the ephemeral-static DH outputs
contributed to the MAC keys.

(3) On a similar note, it wouldn't hurt if the static-static DH
outputs contributed to the key used for encrypting payloads.  That
*might* help in the case where a weak RNG is generating bad ephemeral
private keys, but somehow the sender's static private key was good.
But that's a pretty weird case.

Trevor

[1] https://github.com/kaepora/miniLock
[2] https://github.com/trevp/noise