[messaging] Viber's New End-to-End Authentication

Trevor Perrin trevp at trevp.net
Thu Apr 21 01:01:29 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Michael Farb <mwfarb at cmu.edu> wrote:

> https://support.viber.com/customer/portal/articles/2017401-viber-security-faq
>
> What I really like is the improved UX for authentication I’ve not seen yet.
> They use their own real-time channel (voice) to guide the user through the
> fingerprint readout.

I'm curious what the value users compare actually contains.  it's
interesting that it's only accessible during a call, and only from the
primary device - I'm not sure what would explain that.

The pictures show 48 decimal digits (the left has 46 digits, but that
looks like a typo in a UI mockup).  48 digits could encode just under
160 bits, so it might be a SHA1 hash of something.  But that's a
guess.