[messaging] Mesh/Recrypt

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Mon Aug 22 16:48:07 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Tony Arcieri <bascule at gmail.com> wrote:

> Philliam Hallam-Baker posted this to the CFRG recently:
>
> https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-hallambaker-mesh-recrypt-00.txt
>
> He's looking for a general, IETF-level solution for
> multiparty/multi-device encrypted messaging.
>
> I think he misses out on some of the prior art (e.g. multiparty Signal
> protocol) but, in general, I think it's an interesting problem worth
> solving.

CFRG though.

I know folk have proposed some of the applications before. The mailing list
server for example. But I don't think we have tried to apply them to a
protocol before.

One possible reason for the lack of progress is that using recryption
requires a mechanism for managing private keys which has been absent till
now