[messaging] IETF standardization of a next-gen messaging protocol

Jeff Burdges burdges at gnunet.org
Sun Oct 2 15:27:38 PDT 2016

On Sun, 2016-10-02 at 11:23 +0200, Hanno Böck wrote:
> * I haven't followed closely the whole wire/signal/gplv3-debate.
>   However there seem to be at least some claims that every
>   implementation of the current signal protocol is seen as some kind
> of
>   gplv3 derivative and thus also covered by gplv3.

I suppose the full-ish approximations to the Signal protocol with
prekeys etc. might all be covered by GPLv3, but..

Adam Langely has just the Axolotl ratchet implemented in Go for Pond,
which is BSD :
https://github.com/agl/pond/commit/5b9912d0ce31cbb323bb2b7fa47371e43eae4851

It's quite readable if you're looking to understand the ratchet, but two
caveats : First, you should read only the v2=true form of the ratchet.
Second, he implemented header encryption, which apparently some folks do
not want.

Anyways, the How Secure is Text Secure paper is already pretty clear, so
no need to go read code unless you prefer that.

Jeff