[messaging] IETF standardization of a next-gen e2e encryption component

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 18:13:28 PDT 2016

Den 2 okt. 2016 21:22 skrev "Ximin Luo" <infinity0 at pwned.gg>:

> Tony Arcieri:
> > On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 2:23 AM, Hanno Böck <hanno at hboeck.de> wrote:
> >
> >> * I assume your intention is to standardize an encryption layer only
> >>   and not a new messaging protocol, right?
> >
> > Yes
> >

> In that case, can we please rename this thread to something that's less
confusing?

> I have suggested a name here, but I'm not too attached to it. However, I
think most people have generally agreed that what is being discussed here
is not a "messaging protocol".

I keep thinking that this should be more of a software library than
anything else. Like what SSL/TLS is for most regular networked
communication, the library would expose a number of standard API:s
necessary for secure IM. Then on top of that the client software would add
whatever functionality it wants.

I feel it likely would get too complex to be one big specification, which
nobody ever would get completely right. A reference implementation that you
plug into other IM software would probably have much better results.