[messaging] SKS gossip protocol mentor?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Jan 2 23:15:31 PST 2017

On Tue 2017-01-03 01:33:20 -0500, Daniel Roesler wrote:

> SKS keyservers (the main pool used for GPG keys) uses a reconciliation
> protocol to gossip new keys among the pool of keyservers[1]. I've read
> through the academic paper[2][3] several times, but I'm having a
> difficult time going from the math to the code in the actual
> sks-keyserver (written in OCaml).

I'm not the person you want, but i'm happy that you're working on this :)

my impression is that the sks-devel mailing list (perhaps with an
explicit Cc: to Yaron Minsky, the original sks author, who is busy but
can sometimes be raised with a specific-enough problem statement) is
probably your best bet, meager though it may seem.  Your earlier
question to sks-devel may have gone unanswered because there was no
specific question there, but rather a request for permission to ask
questions, which is already implicitly granted by the mailing list
itself :)

The developer of hockeypuck (a go HKP implementation that appears to
interop with sks itself) is also on sks-devel, and might be able to help
you with some of the details if Yaron is unable to reply.

    --dkg