[messaging] X3DH: why put OTPKs on the server?

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Sat Feb 4 10:50:05 PST 2017

OK, that all makes sense.  Let me try putting this a different way.

Suppose we change the presentation of X3DH as one protocol with two special cases (OTPK available or not) into two protocols as you suggest: X3DH and X4DH=X3DH+OTPK.  Does X4DH really need to specify how Alice gets an OTPK from Bob?  Would it not suffice to suggest a server as one possible implementation without actually specifying that as part of the protocol?

(FWIW, I think splitting up the presentation into two protocols in this way makes a lot of sense.  It’s conceptually simpler, and also makes it clearer that the unavailability of an OTPK is not just a minor detail, it actually gives you different security properties: X4DH gives you forward secrecy, X3DH does not.)

Hm, the more I think about this, the more storing OTPKs on a server makes me queasy.  To do this safely you have to assume that the contents of the server cannot be read by an adversary (otherwise they can copy the OTPKs, which destroys forward secrecy).  You also have to trust the server to securely delete an OTPK once it has been distributed.  If your server has those properties then you can safely store cleartext on it, which no one in their right mind would do.  Why then should we trust a server to store OTPKs?

Could it be that secure off-line OTPK distribution is an unsolved problem?